Saturday, November 23, 2013

Mandarin Chinese-- Lesson 55 (Modest and honorific words in Chinese (III))

Chinese Language Learning Program
Lesson 55 – Modest and honorific words in Chinese (III)


Hello, everyone. Welcome back. This is Baixue’s Chinese Language Learning Program. Last time, we learn modest and honorific words in Chinese part II. Today, we will talk about some modest and honorific words in Chinese part III.

gōng hòu
       (wait respectfully)
wǒ men gōng hòu jiā yīn.
    们   恭        音。
(We are waiting for your good news.)


liú bù
  (stay; Don't bother to see me out.)
qǐng liú bùbù yòng sòng le
请 留  步,不 用    送 了!(I will see myself out, please.)


guāng gù
     (visit)
wǒ jīng cháng guāng gù diàn yǐng yuàn hé jù chǎng.
我 经   常   光      电  影   院 和     场。
(I go to the cinema and the theatre a lot.)


fèng huán
       (return sth. with thanks)
wǒ yí dìng fèng huán.
     定  奉  还。(I'll pay you back.)


bài dú
   (have the honour to read)
nǐ de xīn shū yǐ bài dú le.
新 书 已 拜 读 了。(I have read your new book.)


gāo shòu
      寿 (this is only used for asking old people’s age.)
nín jīn nián gāo shòu
您 今 年 高  寿?(May I ask how old you are?)
wǒ de wài pó zhè xīng qī 80 gāo shòu le.
         这 星 期 80  高  寿 了。
(My Maternal grandmother is 80 years old this week.)         


guì gēng
     (age; (may I know) your age.)
qǐng wèn guì gēng duō shǎo
  请 问 贵  庚  多  少 ?
(May I please ask our age?         )


guì xìng
    (Your last name, please.)
qǐng wèn nín guì xìng
  请 问 您 贵  姓?(Your last name, please.)
When you answer “qǐng wèn nín guì xìng (请 问 您 贵  姓?)” in Chinese, you can say:” miǎn guì xìng bái (免贵姓白)(My last name is Bai.)”


guì fǔ  /  fǔ shàng
   /      (your home)
wǒ kě yǐ qù nǐ fǔ shàng ma
    上 吗 (Can I go to your home?) 


hán shè
  寒 舍 (my humble home)
huān yíng guāng lín hán shè !
  欢  迎  光     寒 舍!
(Welcome to my house!)


fǔ zhèng
    ((please) make corrections.) if you ask somebody to help you to correct any mistake or error, you say “fǔ zhèng”
ruò yǒu chā cuò,qǐng fǔ zhèng.
若 有 差 错,   请 斧  正。
(Please correct any errors that you find.)


chuí xún
  垂 询 (inquiry)
diàn huà chuí xún huò sī rén zào fǎng shù bù jiē dài.
电  话  垂 询 或 私 人 造 访 恕 不 接 待。
(Telephone inquiry or personal visit will not be acceptable.)

Ok, today’s idiom is

                        rú yú dé shuǐ
                            


tā zài xīn gōng sī rú yú de shuǐ.
  新  公 司  得 水。
(He went to his new position like a fish in water.)

Ok, that is all for today.

xiè  xiè!
   ! (Thanks!)

xià  cì  jiàn 
     !  (See you next time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment